Friday, August 07, 2009

Brugge

On Wednesday I spent the day in Beautiful Brugge! An amazing preserved medieval town. I very much enjoyed this city. I love all the old buildings built very close together. Narrow stone streets and the canals that flow in and out of the city. Pictures don't do this place any justice. But I am going to share them anyway.

This church claims to have some of christs blood. I wasn't able to go in and see since they were closed at that time.
A statue of one of the saints (I think) at a Catholic Church
A gothic style building (town hall?)

The streets of Brugge
(we ate lunch here)


Notice the doorways that open up into the water. A long time ago they tied their boat (our car) there and that was the way they traveled around.




Cathedral in Brugge
Holds a sculpture by Michelangelo

The Pipes
These were my tour guides
Silke and her mother Ann they showed me around the city and taught me a lot! We had a wonderful day!

12 comments:

Jerbabe said...

It's good to see you are there and
doing well! These pictures are way cool. I just have never understood how buildings can be sitting there for centuries, surrounded by water so closely and not deteriorate. It's so romantic. What a great experience you are having. I'm greatful to these ladies for taking time to show you around!

Julie said...

Did you hire the tour guides or do you guys know them? It looks like you have learned a lot of the history ... so much fun! Once again, very jealous!

The Bensons said...

It's about time you posted!!! I have been looking for this. I WANT TO BE THERE! I should have gotten a plane ticket and gone. I would have been a tour guide for you and I would have also brought my mom so it would have been better then the ones you had!
I am now going to pout. I don't like you, your grass is dead and all your flowers are now transplanted in my yard.

Anonymous said...

Now that i got my selfishness out of the way, it totally looks like you are having a blast! I am so happy for you that you were able to go. Don't worry, I like you again, and your grass will be green and your flowers back in your yard by the time you get home. We did have rabbit for dinner last night, though...
I feel like I haven't seen you for like 2 months- that makes me sad.:(

Jason and Britney said...

Some of those pictures remind me of Ireland, I love it! I hope you are having as much fun as it looks like you are having. Emily forgot to tell you that there is a dog living in your backyard. You are minus one rabbit, plus one dog. Funny how things change so quickly!

Brookie said...

I am glad that you are getting out and being able to see things. Lucky you! This looks completely amazing! Love you tons! Can't wait to see you!

The Bensons said...

That's right, Allison and Oscar are now roomies...:)

Sarah said...

The kids are worried that you really ate their bunnies. I told them that you were kidding but they aren't sure that they believe me...

Michelle Olson said...

What a fun trip! Hope you are enjoying Paris this weekend!

Melissa Ash said...

This is so beautiful!!! I want to come next time!!! :) Man!! I can't wait to get to Europe one day!! It WILL happen! I am determined! Thank you for sharing these!! Glad you are having fun!!

The Bensons said...

Oh NO!!! We didn't eat their bunnies. I was just teasing their mom because I wish I were in Europe. Please let the kids know that we just got back from their backyard where we were just playing with them and watching them skip and jump around. They are healthy, hopping and happy bunnies.

Emily said...

Sara, glad you are having fun! It looks beautiful. Some day when I'm rich and famous, I'll get to go too!!!