Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Versailles Palace

Saturday night we went to the Versailles Palace. Where the king of France lived. I couldn't beleive how huge this place was. Not only the castle but the gardens as well. I can't believe that people think its okay to live like this even kings and queens. This was unreal to me. But a beautiful place to visit. I definetly prefered the gardens over the palace itself. There is 250 acres of gardens, imagine that.
~
Here we are in front of the castle
Here are the castle gates
A picture of one of the Queens.
(It's amazing how beauty has changed)
The Hall of Mirrors
(and Chandeliers, don't mind my earphones, I had to learn about the castle in English. I don't understand French)
The kings bed

Part of the gardens, I believe this was the orange orchard.
(I'm pretty sure oranges don't grow in France, so they were potted to be taken in during the winter. I hear we eat better thanthe kings and queens at that time. We can buy an orange any time of year even if they dont grow here. They had to have trees if they wanted oranges.)
Us in front of the gardens
Part of the gardens again.
The castle's reflection in one of the fountains/ponds out back.


Gardens
Castle with gardens




We walked the gardens at night something they only do a couple weekends out of the year. They have the fountains going with all sorts of effects. Lights, Coloring the water, Dry Ice, it was pretty cool. While you walk around they place music during that time.




The night ended with fireworks that danced along with the music. I've never seen the fireworks go along with the music before so it was pretty cool.
Also they had a fire show, Fire shot out of the ground also dancing to music. It's funny though, I thought they were just being picky about people stepping on the grass (because they were) And they had this huge area that was hard to get to the other side and they wouldn't let you cross the grass. Well it was dark and I thought, they wouldnt know if I ran across. Then all of a sudden fire shot out of the ground. I could just imagine running across and fire shooting right underneath me. I couldn't believe they didn't have signs saying DANGER, maybe they did and I just couldn't read the language.

3 comments:

Jason and Britney said...

That castle looks like it would take an hour to walk to the other end of it if you didn't stop to look at anything. That's nuts! Beautiul gardens. I could live with those, if I had a few gardners! How fun!

Sarah said...

It kind of looks like the castle on Cinderella! I never went here when I was in France. I stayed at Aunt Sherilee and Uncle Scott's house so I could talk to Blake on the phone! Funny huh?

Sarah said...

the inside of the castle anyways...