Thursday, August 06, 2009

Antwerpen

So I followed Dan to Belgium. He went for a work trip and I wanted to see Europe since I've never been. I thought I would be spending more time in a hotel than I am. I have had so much fun just exploring this place and have been SO busy. I am making time to post about it since I know I won't have time once I'm home.
~
Well I sent my kids to get taken care of by a sweet sister-in-law of mine. I know my kids are in good hands. Usually when I go on a trip and come home my kids have been spoiled and I have to teach them the rules again. But I don't think I will have to worry about this time. I think my kids will have been fixed and trained while I'm gone. Maybe more obedient than before. I think since we have worked on our basement so much they have gotton away with a lot more than we usually allow because we are so busy. Thanks Sarah for caring for them!
~
Here is my first peak of the country. I noticed it's very green and FLAT. One of the locals told me the highest part in the land is still not as high as the Cathedral here in Antwerp. Here it rains a lot I think we came at the best time. It only sprinkled on me once here for a short time. It has been warm but not as hot as back home. It's great weather!
Notice the maze in this picture

We are are staying in Antwerp right now. The legend about Antwerp is a giant would demand a high toll for any ship wanting to pass his castle into the city. If you wouldn't pay or couldn't pay the toll he would chop your hand off your hand and throw it in the river. Well, someone got tired of this and slew the giant and then chopped the giants hand off and threw it in the river. Antwerp was originally hantwerpen meaning hant (hand) werpen (throwing) They took off the 'H' and belgiums call it Antwerpen today. Meaning throwing of the hand. We shorten the name by calling it Antwerp.



Just left of the middle of the picture is a statue/fountain of a guy throwing the giants hand

Cathedral of Our Lady
Begun in 1352 and completed by around 1520
One of the tallest Cathedrals at 403 feet
It's so hard to get a picture of this Cathedral. I don't think it's possible to get a picture of the whole think unless from helecopter. It's too big and close to other tall buildings.
Look how huge this dog is we saw!

8 comments:

Emily said...

Yay! So glad you're having fun. Soak it up and enjoy every minute. I am so jealous....

Sarah said...

I can,t Beleve you saw dog that big. i miss you better then the biggest cupcake in the world. for breakfast when you come home i wont french toast. mmm
Love devy.

Jason and Britney said...

Devy, I wish you would have stayed with me, I make French Toast better than your mom does! Plus there is a huge fire somewhere here and our whole house smells like a campfire! It's like a family campout everyday.

Sara, is that an Irish wolfhound? There was a dog like that in Ohio, it was very nice though.

I'm trying to decorate my living room, and I so wish you were here! Mom and I moved things around for a couple of hours, I stole a lamp from moms house, and I still don't know what to do! I guess I'll have to go shopping without you, again. No fun.

Have fun, be safe and take at least one day off to sleep all day in the hotel.

stacie said...

You and Dan are hot and youthful.

Jerbabe said...

This is really amazing. It would be so weird to see castles when you are not at Disneyland. It would be hard for me to actually comprehend how some of these things are centuries old--everything here is just made to look that way. Try to take it all in. Do you feel safe? I love you!!

How would you like to feed that dog. I'm sure it eats like a teenage boy!

Julie said...

I am so glad you are documenting things as you go! I think you will remember more details that way. I always wait until I get home & then forget half the stuff I wanted to remember. I am very very jealous. Everything looks so amazing!!

Brookie said...

WOW! This is awesome and that dog is HUGE! It looks like you are having a great time!

Joelle said...

Sara! These are AMAZING photos!!! I am SO glad you 2 got to go do this... how romantic ;D. WOW is all I can say. I am thoroughly jealous, yes I'll admit it :D. I LOVE, love all that old architecture and art, quaint Brugge (i've never even heard of that city before)... someday, and I'll give you a call to get the insider tips. We really missed you at the reunion but like I said before, I'm so glad you guys got this opportunity and that you blogged it sooo well. You rock. I need to update my blog but it is: mattandjoelletaylorclan.blogspot.com. Love you! Joelle :D