Monday, September 22, 2008

Topaz Mountain

For a fun little day trip my brother took my mom & his family out to Topaz Mountain to search for Topaz. Dan and I decided to tag along. It was a fun little experience. Right when we pulled in this guy came up to us and and was telling us the best places to find Topaz in the area. I think if we never saw him we may have gone all the way out there and never found a single piece of topaz. He has a mine claim there and doesn't like to work on the weekends because there are so many people. But he showed us all of his finds from all over the states. He makes jewelry with his jewels and sells them. I wonder if he may of not wasted his time with us if he knew we weren't going to purchase any of his jewels. But he was a nice man with four little dogs that the kids loved to play with. And they found his sparkly stones pretty amazing. So besides the long drive, I think the kids had fun. It's always fun getting together with cousins. And something new to try. We like our jewels, but just because we found them. Maybe Dan will make me a nice diamond looking ring with one! The funnest part was watching my mom get excited like a little kid. I think she enjoyed herself.






Silly Girls!




Here we are looking for brown topaz. You have to dig for it. Its a lot harder to find. They do later turn clear like the topaz we found. I didn't find any brown topaz, My mom, Tyree and Mark did though. I was tired of looking for Topaz by then. :)


Our Topaz Finds

5 comments:

Strong said...

Looks like a lot of fun.

Jerbabe said...

It was one of my little dreams come true. I've always wanted to do these things. Trilobites, geodes and opals are next on my list!

Brookie said...

Wow! Mom, I think you were doing a little too much bending! ;) haha.

Julie said...

You guys always do neat stuff. It looks fun!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had lots of fun! I haven't been out to Topaz for a few years and I never found that many pieces of topaz, you guys did really well.