Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Fruit Fly Trap

So maybe where you live the fruit flies are not that bad, but around here they are horrible! Maybe it's because of orchards that are so close, the rotton fruit that has dropped and the fruit flies are in thoroughly enjoying it. Where do they come from anyways?
~
Well I had a box of peaches I was hoping to get bottled. They were in the house one day when I moved them out to the garage because I didn't like the flies around them. They were good fresh peaches and out of nowhere the fruit flies found them.
~
A good friend of mine told me about a fruit fly trap so I thought I would give it a try. I took a quart size jar and squished a peach and threw it in. Then I covered it with Saran Wrap and poked some holes in the top with a toothpick. This jar stayed in the garage for a few days then I moved it outside. Can you believe this? It is about 5 days worth of fruit flies. I have another one I keep in the house. It doesn't look anything like this of course but still! I've been amazed you should try it. Any fruit will work of course but I'm thinking a smashed banana might work the best. Give it a try! I'm glad I did!
~

9 comments:

The Bensons said...

Mine still does not look like yours.... I really can't wait until it does.

Jerbabe said...

That's almost unbelievable crazy!

Sarah said...

That is disgusting!

Sarah said...

That is disgusting!

Sarah said...

That is disgusting!

Wendy Peay said...

We have tried the same trap here and it is pretty incredible. However our jar isn't that full. Balsamic vinegar works too.

The Richards Family said...

Yep, you definitely have mine beat. Pretty sick!!

JLR said...

Ahhhhhh!!! I am so sick of fruit flies! Our whole neighborhood is having fruit flie trauma! We have been killing them with a fly swater and leaving viniger on the counter. I think we finally have them under contol but now I don't want to can anymore.

Jason and Britney said...

Have you noticed that Walmart has been vacuuming their fruit with a shopvac lately? It took me three trips to walmart to figure out that they are sucking up fruit flies! YUCK! Any fruit that can't be put in the fridge has been banished from my house, and we still have some tiny icky fruit flies!