Friday, May 15, 2009

Planting Pumpkins

Grandpa MyronDan's Grandpa Myron is the cutest little grandpa. Both of my grandfathers died before I was born and I have always wanted a grandpa so I have kinda adopted him to be mine too, not just Dans. Living next to him I was lucky to learn a lot about gardening from him, and he will tell you that his corn grows best when I plant it. (Hey, what can I say, I'm a natural)
~
Grandpa has a huge garden and I told him to plant pumpkins this year, (meaning to take up space in his garden), but instead he just made the garden bigger for me to plant pumpkins. Ooops, I wasn't trying to make the garden bigger but oh well. He had shown me the space he had for the pumpkins, so I bought seeds and I'm a bit excited to see them grow.
~Here is what we planted . . .

GIANT & Big Max Pumpkins weighing 50-100 lbs each. The biggest one weighing 1,600 lbs. Yeah, I'm super excited to have the biggest pumkin in town.

Jack-O-Lantern pumpkins weighing 8-15 lbs each - Normal Pumpkins

Jack-Be-Little Miniature Pumpkins

Jaradale Pumpkins - They are Blue Pumpkins

Ornamental Gourds - Variety Pack

Snake Gourds - Jacob picked them out, he's excited to grow snakes.
Here is Jacob (my little gardner) watering the seeds
Ethan, not the biggest helper around, but he loved playing in grandpa's yard
Feeding the horses before we left.
I hope the kids always remember days at Grandpa Myrons house. I'm sure Jacob will. We were able to get the seeds all planted, now we just need to keep them weeded until they get established.
Wish us luck with our pumpkin patch this year!

3 comments:

Julie said...

That is a lot of fun. I bet the kids will love carving the pumpkins they grew!

The Richards Family said...

For some reason I love planting pumpkins too. What fun memories!!

Jenn said...

you are so lucky to live near Grandpa we so need to get down there more often.