Thursday, April 17, 2008

Ethans Owie

I just want to thank all who have expressed their concerns for Ethan.
It was another one of those scary moments in my life
that I hope I never have to experience again.
But for some reason it seems that the worst always finds me.
I don't think I have good luck when it comes to my kids.
I love them dearly and I am so glad to have them with me.
On Tuesday Ethan had a fall into the window well. I was outside playing with the kids and turned my back for 1 second. But they are deep window wells and he hit his head pretty hard. I knew head wounds bleed a lot but when I saw Ethan covered I paniced. After a 911 call, an ambulance ride to the hospital, tests and x-rays, I feel better knowing he will be fine. He does have a skull fracture but it is not depressed. I'm sure he will have a big headache for a while but should heal on its own in 6-8 weeks. Kids are amazing and heal fast. As the days go by it seems his head gets more swollen. His forehead has swelled and the bridge of his nose, he looks so different to me. It still worries me that maybe something else could be wrong, but when I call the doctor I am told this is normal and swelling will come down. Ethan is very protective of his owie, he won't let me touch it, clean it, ice it, but I try, try and try. I worry about it getting infected. He received about 8-10 stitches in his head. We aren't sure exactly how many because they did some stitches inside that are hidden. He absolutely hated the hospital. It is standard to stay overnight in the hospital but he was acting so well, and just like Ethan, trying to pull me out the door for hours. He just wanted to go home. He would tell workers Hi as we were walking around. He was loved in the emergency room. But I didn't get much sleep at home as I was checking on him constantly and will be up every night making sure he gets his antibiotics on time. We are doing great, thanks for all those who have helped us and showed their love and concern, I couldn't believe how all our family met us in the emergency room when the only number I called was 911. The word spread fast somehow. Thank you Uncle Stephen for hearing the call on the pager and running to rescue us. He made it to the house before the ambulance or police and immediately took over. He was with Ethan until we got to the hospital then took care of all the paper work for me. It meant a lot. I'm glad he is fine but it was a big scare. Just so you all know. Window Well Covers are being installed tomorrow! I wish we hadn't waited so long. Here are some pictures in the hospital I keep my camera in my purse at all times.
All stitched up
Ethan ate so many suckers in the hosptial. It was the
only way to keep him from trying to go out the doors.
In our special waiting room, there was no way he
was going to back to our room in the emergency room
It's all about NEMO! Nemo book and Watching Nemo waiting to go home.
And even a NEMO bandaid

7 comments:

shellyray said...

What a nightmare! I'm so glad Ethan is doing well. We really need window well covers too. It's too bad this had to happen for Shawn and I to decide it's a priority. Who are you getting your covers through?

The Olsons said...

We went through Abbey Grates. It seemed to be a pretty good deal. With the money mailer coupon they were $140 each. The custom made are a bit nicer but run $80 more per grate and I think these are good, they keep kids from falling into the window well. You can come by and see what you think of them.

Brookie said...

Poor little guy! I am glad I heard about this after everyone had settled down a little bit! Hope he continues to do well.

Anonymous said...

This was one of the scariest moments of my life. To know someone from your house had gone to the hospital and not even knowing what had happened. We are so thankful our precious little Ethan is ok. Too close for comfort!

Anonymous said...

We're glad that Ethan is feeling so much better. We love you Ethan! MacKenzie was really sad that you bonked your head!

Melissa Ash said...

Oh my!! How scary. I am so glad that Ethan is doing well now. Poor little guy. It amazes me how brave and how resilient kids are!!! Glad to hear things are good!

Julie said...

Holy Cow! That is so scary. I am sorry you guys had to go through that. I am glad Ethan is okay. Are you okay Mom :)? I think I would have broken down!